Its been close to 9 months since iPhone 2.0 release.On March 17 2009, Apple gave a group of journalists, analysts, and developers a preview of iPhone OS 3.0 Software and if Apple is to be believed the new OS will have more than 100 new features including copy and paste, peer-to-peer networking, push notification, and a whole lot more.(that’s quite an upgrade from 2.0)
- Cut, copy and paste feature which is a huge relief to all the iPhone users
- Multimedia messaging feature (MMS) that lets users send text message photos, calendar invites, and even contacts to another phone.
- Peer to peer networking support by which multiplayer games and sharing data with an iPhone user next to you becomes a reality.
- Spotlight feature that will allow users to search for specific e-mail messages, applications, contacts, and other data.
- Push Notification service by the virtue of which instant messaging and other real-time alerts will soon be available on your iPhone.
- Buy content from within third party applications so that users can buy new game levels, subscription content, and more from within an iPhone application.
Some key points to be noted from Greg Joswiak, Apple vice president of iPod and iPhone Product Marketing talk
- iPhone is in 80 countries now from 1 country 2 years ago.
- iPhone has sold 13.7 M devices in 2008(way over their goal of 10M) and to date 17M since june 2007
- Its been a year since Apple made SDK open source and would you believe it or not 8,00,000 downloads and 50,000 developers including companies have joined the iPhone paid developer program.
- 60 % of the developers were new which is amazing
- 20 games , 25,000 apps and 800 Million downloads from app store in 8 months
- 96% apps submitted approved and 98 % of them were approved in 7 days or less which just goes to show that Apple is very serious with the applications.
Scott Forstall, Apple’s senior vice president of iPhone software then explained about some of the upcoming features in the new OS.There are 8 parts to it.